Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Don't Look Back

NaNoWriMo is a few days away. I have participated before but found myself in a muddle of words halfway through and never finished the story I started, stalled with the mid book blues. I just read a wonderful essay by Steven Johnson with the same title as this post https://medium.com/the-writers-room/8ee301a21ef1 My compulsive love of editing, tweaking every paragraph, every fifteen minutes has made me my own worst enemy. Next month I am going to shoot the editor, stifle that mistress of correction until November 30th and write, write, write. Maybe I will find that I should stick to picture books where I can pick at every word until the few hundred I've written make a perfect text.  The longer books I've began have led me to dead ends and maybe now I've found the answer why.  You can't move forward if you keep looking back.

No comments: